Thursday, October 31, 2013

Happy Halloween!

I love Halloween. I always have. What is my Why? for today? Why do I watch scary movies, shows, read scary short stories and books when I know I jump at a pin drop. I wish I had an answer for that Why?

Yesterday I had a procedure done and today my neck hurts pretty bad. So I have to take it easy. Even being on the computer is a lot. You use your hand to type all the way up to your shoulder and neck if you really pay attention. Plus you have to remember to keep your head straight or else even normally your neck and shoulders will get stiff and hurt.

Everything I did seemed to be cursed today. I Did not eat on time, did not catch up on any mail, could not figure out my facebook account and what is going on there, I forgot to drink my coffee, forgot to get back to some of my friends, tried fiddling with uploading pictures, and the list goes on. A lot of stuff not earth ahattering but important to me and things I wanted to catch up on. I was very distracted today. All I wanted to do was have a spooky Halloween. I started off by watching the first episode of Sleepy Hollow (LOVED IT!! Adding that to things I like on television now that do not suck. In this category is American Horror Story-Asylum and Bates Motel), with the intention of watching maybe another episode, or start watching American Horror Story - The Coven.

My other big plans for today included reading some horror novels I started, and some horror short stories I got for free on Amazon. But first on the list, after Sleepy Hollow, was a particular short story. And not just any short story but one by my friend and author Evans Light. You can find it here

https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/5130075-candie-apple-a-free-halloween-tale-by-evans-light

If you know Evans work at all, you will know why I was so excited to read it.

So I mute the television, get comfortable in the rocking chair, and start reading. Maybe, well it was still light out, Around 4:30? I pulled the clock out to plug in my laptop.

So picture if you will....

I have been waiting all day to read Evans short story but, as I mentioned, got sidetracked. It was light out when I stated reading. My neck hurt so I iced it, and it was a muggy 66 here today so I put the air conditioner on. I was sitting her reading the story, loving the story, freezing cold partially from the air conditioning, partially from the story, and just as the family in the story walked outside to trick or treat, a knock on my front door! (Read the story to know why that part made what you are about to read occur.

I jump about 40 feet in the air, look up, heart pounding,and it is pitch black out all of the sudden. I am almost afraid to open the door. Tony is at work I am alone. But I do it is just cute kids trick or treating.

And do I feel stupid? YES! I still have not finished the story. I have a funny feeling when I get to the end or to the next scary part, someone will be knocking on my door again.

I do not think you can get anymore Halloween than what happened! Well, I wanted a fun day - I got one!

Bur to answer my original question, why do I read and watch scary things when, in all reality not much scares me. The more gore the better. But I guess on some level it does because I either have nightmares, or sometimes I am reading and my husband has come in the room and I do not notice, he taps me or starts talking and I jump the same 40 feet I did while reading the short story today. I guess, since I am terrified of roller coasters, this is my adrenaline rush. That is my explanation.

I grew up on Steven King. I started reading his books in 8th grade. Maybe 7th. I love all horror movies. And, most recently - Bates Motel, Sleepy Hollow, and American Horror Story -Asylum have become my new favorite shows, as I mentioned above. But I guess on some level we all have things we are scared of. Maybe this is a trigger for something deeper who knows? I know that, real terror, is when I went with my husband to pick up some paperwork at his job. He is a Senior Corrections Officer in a State Prison. Where the worst of the worst go. As we walked up the walkway to the door, I was terrified. I did not say anything. Then I was in what they call the Inside Outside door. There is nothing there but a small kind of, headquarters. I think there was one guard. Nothing to even see to be scared of. And the place still terrified me. I could not leave fast enough. I remember driving past it before he worked there, with my mom, or God Forbid, by myself, and thinking someone was escaping at that moment and would run across the street as I sat at the red light and somehow force me to drive him somewhere and kill me. Truth be told I think they have only had one or two escapes over a long period of time. But the idea of what bits and pieces my husband shares about what crimes have been committed (and I am sworn to secrecy), plus, as a Psychiatric Nurse knowing about sociopaths, etc, it makes for some real life horror.

All I can say is I am glad I have a dog. And glad my husband will be home in 2 hours and 20 minutes. But who is counting?

1 comment:

  1. I'm the same way. I read scary stories and watch horror movies at night - then lay there in bed staring at the ceiling, flinching if I hear an unusual sound. And I have a cat who is almost black - she creeps up very easily in the dark - has made me jump a time or two. But it never stops me. Not even nightmares - or not being able to go to the bathroom because I'm sure there is something in the mirror. I just turn all the lights on and go back to sleep (and my mother/roommate can never figure out why all the lights were left on haha).

    ReplyDelete