Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Why Watch Reality TV?

I believe in Reality TV..to an extent.

My husband points out all of the bunk. Which ruins my day. :(

So we have America's Next Top Model. A lot of which is staged I am sure. But I love it. It is funny and entertaining. It is my guilty pleasure.

However, The Steve Wilkos Show is one of my favorites. He is hitting his 1,000 show on Friday. Have I been watching that long? Why?

I know exactly why. Because Steve was a Police Officer. My husband is in Law Enforcement. Their thinking is very similar. It is an interesting phenomenon. It is like when we go to a picnic with all the guys from my husband's job. They stand all day at work then come to a BBQ and they stand in the 100 degree weather while the wives sit and compare stories. And they stand the way they do in their uniforms. Straight up, feet at a certain distance, arms folded. They look like a flock of geese. They are all the same for the most part. Good guys, rough rough jobs. And us wives are very much the same also.

Steve Wilkos stands up for those that cannot stand up for themselves. And gives a voice to those who do not have one.

I love Steve a bunch.

I like to see the bad guys go down.

Steve is a human lie detector. Just like my husband.

I am often kicked in the teeth because I am too nice. I believe in the inherent goodness of people. So to see the bad guy go down gives me a sense of satisfaction.

I love the show updates where the people that were abused have got some sense of normalcy back and have got their lives back together.

I had some satisfaction myself earlier this year.

A bad person did something bad to me and I felt like I had to look over my shoulders since I was 19 years old.

My husband saw his friends (by a total coincidence that they my husband friend knew a friend of the bad person) saying how upset they were on Facebook that he passed away.

As a Catholic, I am not happy someone died.

As a woman who was injured, with no apology, who had to always wonder where "he" was, a big part of me was relieved. It is burned in my memory the time and day my husband called me down and said "Look at this" and showed me the computer screen". I was in shock. But a sense of relief washed over me. This man lead a bad life to begin with. I think death was a way out for him too. I do not know how he died, but I hope he is at peace. And I am not being two faced. I am good at heart and whoever hurts me, I only hope they turn themselves around or make up for their mistakes somehow. I never wish bad on anyone. No matter how bad they hurt me. Or if they steal from me. Or if they talk about me in a hurtful way. I pray for them and hope that they will be healed and be a good person. I believe in Karma. So I have no worries.

So back to Steve. I think he is a one in a million guy. I think his wife and children are lucky. I think he is doing a good thing. The fact that he does not let people go crazy on his stage (like on Jerry Springer, and I love him too! But for different reasons) lends more credibility to his show and what he does.

If you have not seen The Steve Wilkos Show, watch it with caution. There is a lot about child abuse, rape, violence, things you do not want to think about but you have to. This is what goes on in our world. Give the show a chance. Let me know what you think. I am sure people have strong opinions about this.

And my last message is, Do Onto Others As You Would Have Done Onto You.

No comments:

Post a Comment